mother of two and plank seller almost electrocuted at the same time in lagos

Two residents, Bashirat Rauf, a mother of two and Sodiq
Saka of Araromi Quarters in Ketu, Lagos State, were both
electrocuted when fire engulfed a school nearby.
Bashirat Rauf was said to have rushed out of her apartment
when she saw fire burning from a cable in a nearby school.
She reportedly decided to quickly pick her children who
were playing outside in order to avoid being engulfed by the
fire unfortunately, she got electrocuted in the process.
Meanwhile, 33 year old plank seller,Sodiq Saka, was said to
have gone to fetch water to put off the fire in the school
premises when he saw flame coming out of their compound
and he got electrocuted in the process.
According to Mr. Saka Imam, The father of late Sodiq,
“As a Muslim, I have accepted my fate. There is nothing I
could do to bring the dead back to life. “We were to gather
on that fateful day. He was the one who slaughtered the
Sallah ram he bought for me.
After that, he told me he was coming to get something down
the street, only for someone to come and call me that my
son had been electrocuted in the neighbourhood.
I was told by some witnesses at the scene of the incident
that my son only went into the compound of the school
premises where it was burning to assist the owner of the
house, only for him to be electrocuted by the falling cable.
Sodiq was said to had stepped on the naked cable while
trying to put off the fire. What else do I do, I cannot give
birth to a grown up boy like him.”
The Secretary of Araromi Community Development
Association, Mr.Wahab Awoyemi , described the incident as
a very sad one for the residents of Araromi community.
He said:
“It was very sad for us to loose two persons in a day.The
woman was in her apartment that fateful day preparing
meal, when information got to her that the school near their
apartment was burning.
She rushed out to pick her children who were playing
outside their compound and stepped on the naked cable.
She was electrocuted immediately.
“We made serious effort to rescue both of them. We went to
Eko distribution company office at mile 12 to switch off the
light.
The person who was supposed to switch off the power was
said not be on duty. But with providence, they took off the
power.
It was after then we were able to remove them from the
burning cable and took them to a private hospital in the
community where they were later pronounced dead by the
medical doctor of the hospital.”
“Before the ugly incident, we called on Eko Disco officials to
come fix the cable before it will kill someone in the
community. They did not come until two lives were
consumed. We want government to come to our aid in the
community.
Source: Vanguard

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s